Monday, May 12, 2014

Art In The Park



Hermann Park is celebrating its centennial with Public Art.
I've already shared the twig maze.


Twig Maze




Today I'm sharing the Spider.


Spider


A giant arachnid descended on the Jones Reflection pool where it appears to float on the water's surface. It is part of Hermann Park Conservancy's year-long Art In The Park series celebrating the historic green space's centennial.



Spider



Spider was created by the late internationally acclaimed artist Louise Bourgeois.
The newest addition to Hermann Park comes from an anonymous private collector in Houston who offered the loan specifically for 
Art In The Park.

Spider


The Spider weighs about 2,000 pounds.
Measurements: About 11 feet tall and 21 feet wide.
Even at those dimensions, the Spider exhibits a strength in metal work yet with a spindly, even intricate, appearance.*

Wishing You well and much joy!

*information for this post from various media releases for Art In The Park

29 comments:

Deborah said...

Very awesome! Thank you for the outing!

**kisskiss**
Deb

Icy BC said...

These are fabulous shots, and the spider is enormous!

Vee said...

Good thing that they are displaying it in the water! I think children would love to play around it otherwise.

Irene said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Spider doesn't really do it for me, while it's amazing, he can stay where he is. xox

Debra She Who Seeks said...

OMG Snap, I knew who the artist was when you first posted the Twig Maze and this time I know the Spider's artist too! Louise Bourgeois has a very similar statue of a huge spider called "Maman" ("Mother") at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa. There's a copy that we saw in Japan too when we were there. Small world!

Sylvia K said...

These are awesome indeed!! Thanks for sharing!! Love it!!

Joyful said...

Wow! These are some very interesting pieces of art.

Cynthia said...

It's very . . . spidery! And huge. I like it, and I know my 5 year old grandsons would, too.

Karen said...

That's one creepy looking spider, a great work of art though.

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! What a place and great shots for OWT ~ love them all ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Willow said...

I must say super WOW tot he spider , and I love those twiggy huts.

Al said...

That spider is cool but creepy. I bet it's given some kids nightmares!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Cool spider sculpture --it looks almost real!

Karen said...

A 2,000 pound spider, my worst nightmare, but it is an awesome sculpture!

Anonymous said...

Wow - amazing!

Ileana said...

Awesome!

Fun60 said...

Its design defies its weight.

NatureFootstep said...

both maze and spider is great art. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Nancy's Notes said...

What amazing shots! What a grand place for a photo shoot, lucky lady!

Unknown said...

Interesting post!! Boom & Gary.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Shades of Harry Potter! I'd hate to see THAT spider coming for me!

Beth Niquette said...

How perfectly marvelous! I LOVED this post! ((hugs)) Have a great week, my Friend.

Carver said...

I love the art in the park.

orchid0324 said...

The spider sculpture (I hope it is) is a GREAT work♡♡♡ We have many sculptures displayed in my city. Thank you very much for sharing beautiful art with us♪
So sorry for my a bit late comment.

Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

EG CameraGirl said...

Kinda scary for people suffering with arachnophobia. ;))

April said...

I love your images of this spider, especially with the water... but I'm sorry, he is kinda scary!! :0 Very neat though, and that maze looks neat too.

Alexa T said...

Lovely walk in the park and So interesting artwork... Thanks for sharing with us! Have a great week!

Indrani said...

Whoa! The spider!
AMAZING!