Sunday, December 28, 2008

Unfinished Knitting

Now that all the holiday crochet projects are done and sent on their way (dolls and pot holders), I reached into the closet to see what knitting projects were left unfinished. I started this one last spring. I wanted a light wrap to wear inside. Houston always has the air conditioning running and it gets cold in buildings. I liked this pattern immediately. It is a free pattern from Lion Brand Yarn: Lion Brand Lion Cotton Lacy Stole (Pattern Number: 70337AD). I went searching for the Lion Brand Cotton in town and when I couldn't find any I decided I would use Bernat Satin Sport. I love the light weight, snuggly feel of this yarn and the Jade color.



One of the reasons I picked this pattern is that is was marked Easy+. I should have known the secret was in the + ! I can't tell you how many times I frogged the first eight rows. Enough that I finally said *to heck* with it and decided to just keep going. So what if I made a mistake. The first try at a pattern is always mine, and I didn't care if I could see the mistakes! I also remembered a story about Navajo weavers -- they always make an error in the weaving so that the evil spirits have a way out of the rug. I must have really built up some bad karma -- there are lots of ways for evil spirits to get out of this stole! When the stole is finished and blocked, I'll show it to you again.



Here's a project I'm finishing up. The other two pieces are done. Can you guess what this is? You'll have to come back in the New Year to find out. I can tell you all about it on January 19!

3 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

That's beautiful, Snap! I so envy those who can knit. I learned to do the garter stitch when I was in 5th grade (does anyone remember 1945?) in order to make my daddy a muffler (it was a class project). It was about 6" wide, and about 15 feet long when I ran out of yarn and discovered that I had not the foggiest idea how to get it off the needles (school was over before we learned how to do that.) I kept the darn thing in a sack until long after my daddy was dead (1965), and finally unraveled it, wound the yarn into a ball and gave it to the Goodwill. I can still do the garter stitch and made myself a couple of lap robes back in the early 70's (with plenty of dropped-stitch holes for the evil spirits to escape), but had to take the still-on-the-needles work to my husband's aunt, who worked it off for me.

I am now sticking to simple, very simple, crochet.

Crafty Christina said...

The stole really is beautiful! I'm the same way with unfinished things. I always have the best intentions and then I find things undone months later!

jennalee said...

Love the lacy stole, it's going to look beautiful.