Friday, August 1, 2008

Creativity

Creativity. So what is it? The dictionary says:
  • Creativity - creative ability; artistic or intellectual inventiveness
So what is creative? Back to the dictionary and:
  1. Creating or able to create
  2. Having or showing imagination and artistic or intellectual inventiveness
  3. Stimulating the imagination and inventive powers
Why the sudden interest in creativity? The July/August 2008 issue of UTNE READER had a series of articles on The Future of Creativity in our schools, our businesses, and our lives. Frankly, it was a little frightening. It seems to be one of those use it or lose it things. One of the articles suggested that we are robbing our kids of their birthright: the access to free, unstructured play of their own making. Remember playing with an old cardboard box and in your imagination making it into anything we wanted: castle, fort, car, plane, cave? Some kids, when you tell them to go play look at you and say "what should I play."

It got me to thinking about being crafty and if that counts as creative. Then I thought about just having fun! Why stop playing when you become an adult? Why not continue to play? Learn to play a new instrument. Learn a new craft. Finger paint!

I spend time looking at blogs featuring mixed-media artists/crafts people. I decided I wanted to try and here's my first collage.
This is what I collected all laid out on watercolor paper. The little girl in the picture is me. Lots of clip art butterflies. An information sheet on butterflies printed out on ledger paper.


Here's the finished project. I call it Too Cute I. I have more pictures of this little girl doing things she loved. I think there are several more Too Cutes to come!

Too Cute I

6 comments:

Leah said...

wonderful work on your first collage! brava!! and thanks for the cool links too.

Mariposa said...

One of the things that I see us as a society doing is over scheduling our children until their itinerary rivals that of the most powerful CEO's. I think that freedom to explore and imagine is an important quality to cultivate.

As for adults, well, we live in a world where play and letting go are bad words. No one wants to be judged or scrutinize so we hold back and wait. Wait for what I do not know but wait we do until the moment passes and we are filled with regret.

So play, play, play until someone calls you home, I say. We need to give ourselves permission to do that sometimes.

~*~Patty S said...

I am visiting from Leah's blog! I am a huge fan of playing! In fact, one of my favorite quotes by Thoreau is at the top of my blog: It is a happy talent to know how to play - gosh I think that's how it goes :) Your blog post is very stimulating AND your collage is really wonderful, great color and depth to it!

~*~Patty S said...

Oh, and you ARE such a precious little girl! I just recently used a 2 yr old photo of myself in a 4x4 piece = kinda fun! Again amazing first collage you created there!

Julie Southern (Studio Sherwood) said...

My grown up creative outlet was digital scrapbooking - can't BELIEVE how incredibly satisfying it is! So kudos to you for your venture into collaging (collaging?) - I hope you enjoy it immensely!

Our Hands For Hope said...

Boy your not kidding...this is to cute!
Thank you for the link!
Terisa